Murray River Adventure Trail
A world first long distance river adventure trail
The Murray River Adventure Trail is a multi-sport adventure trail which extends along the length of the Murray River within the Murray tourism region in Victoria and NSW, using land and water to incorporate walking, cycling, kayaking/canoeing and other forms of water transport.
The trail extends from Lake Hume, near Albury Wodonga in the east to Mildura, Wentworth in the West. The Trail traverses secluded River Red Gum forests and major settlements along the length of the Murray River and provides opportunities for visitors to experience the Murray River in its natural setting, allowing immersion in the environment through active recreation.
The land-based trail (for cyclists and walkers) is around 1,040 kilometres, while the water-based trail (for kayakers and other craft) is 1,390 kilometers. Trail users can enjoy sections or the entire length of the trail.
To develop an iconic, world-first multi-mode adventure trail, creating a new nature-based experience for the Murray River.
This new trail will drive economic growth to the region through increased visitation and expenditure.
The trail will:
- attract investment in both public and private infrastructure
- create employment opportunities in the initial construction and through the attraction and development of new tourism products associated with the trail
- attract and extend the length of stay of 110,000 visitors to the Murray Region annually
- be used 200,000 times per year by local residents
- generate annual output of $12.8 million and 71 jobs per annum in the Murray Region economy
- deliver a Net Present Value (NPV) of $34 million and a Benefit Cost Ratio (BCR) of 2.3.
A video and brochure have been developed to provide more detailed information about the project investment opportunities. Please contact Mark Francis, CEO MRT, [email protected] (03) 5480 7110, if you would like to discuss the project.