The Murray Visitor Servicing Transformation Project is an important regional project which will guide the future of visitor servicing in the Murray. The aim of the project is to take a customer-led approach to develop a new visitor servicing model for the Murray region, which will achieve the region’s strategic objective of greater spend, regional dispersal and increased overnight stays.
The project was initiated by Murray Regional Tourism (MRT) in response to visitor servicing issues raised by Local Governments (LGA) and Visitor Information Centre (VIC) networks across the Murray region and is consistent with both regional and state government policy frameworks. The project has strong support from a wide range of stakeholders across government and industry. Customer Frame, specialists in customer-led business strategies, has been appointed to deliver the project.
Role of visitor servicing
Visitor servicing plays an important role in driving positive outcomes for economies in regional areas, through optimising the visitor experience and maximising value for the tourism industry and local community. There is an opportunity through this project to establish a modern, integrated approach to visitor servicing that allows visitors to have their information needs met, regardless of their location.
To develop a customer-led visitor servicing strategy and target operating model which will drive positive outcomes for the visitor economy in the Murray region.
- Develop a Murray Region Visitor Servicing Strategy.
- Develop a target operating model for a new visitor servicing approach, including feasibility assessment and business case.
- Develop an implementation framework to support LGA investment in transitioning to the new visitor servicing model.
Progress to date
MRT and LGAs from the Murray region funded the first three project stages, completed in 2018.
- Project Vision – The creation of a shared vision for the future of visitor servicing in the Murray region.
- VIC Experience Reviews – Detailed analysis of the existing VIC experience from the perspective of current visitors at 6 sites across the region.
- Customer Profiles – Creation of detailed profiles of visitors to the Murray region to inform the target customer for the Visitor Servicing Strategy.
A working group was formed in April 2018 comprising MRT, LGA partners and VIC representatives to oversee project delivery.
Project funding partners
The Murray Visitor Servicing Transformation Project is a regional cross-border initiative and has been proudly funded by the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning’s Finance and Accounting Support Team (FAST) program, Murray Regional Tourism, Destination Riverina Murray and Local Government Partners. Mildura Rural City Council was the lead applicant for the FAST grant and is managing the funding agreement on behalf of the working group.
This final project phase commenced in January 2019. The project is scheduled to be completed in June 2019.
Contact Karen Oliver, Project Manager, Murray Regional Tourism
e. [email protected]
p. 0479 010 618